We’ve put together 15 top care tips for curly hair!
- BANISH THE BRUSHES! Always, use your fingers to comb through hair that’s wet and drenched with a no-comb detangling spray.
- GRANOLA, NOT CURLS, SHOULD CRUNCH: Over-cleansing and leaving in too much conditioner or using alcohol-filled gels can give your curls a crunchy look.
- HANDS OFF! Don’t interrupt your curls while they’re drying, or they will frizz up.
- AVOID SNAGS: Detangle in the shower before rinsing out your conditioner. It’ll make for easier styling and less breakage.
- BODY OF WORK: Make your workout session double as a curl treatment. Before you hit the elliptical or treadmill, run a styling cream through your locks and twist up in a bun. The heat your body produces while working out allows curls to soak in moisture and conditioners.
- IT’S ALL IN THE DETAILS: For natural, healthy curls, only use a defining or styling gel that’s alcohol and silicone-free, and soluble in water—as the gel can remain in your hair for 2-3 days.
- DON’T FRACTURE YOUR HAIR! Remember to remove your hair from your shoulders before slinging on your handbag, backpack or messenger bag.
- BOOST YOUR ROOTS! To give your curls at the top of your hair extra volume, lift and clip the hair at the roots while it’s still wet. Doing so will release the top layer from its own weight, allowing it to dry faster and in an even curl pattern from roots to ends. Clipping also speeds the drying process.
- NATURAL ORDER: The top of your hair should be the last place you cleanse and the last place you rinse the conditioner. Start from the bottom and work your way up!
- RADIANT CURLS IN RECORD TIME! Spot cleansing not only saves time but it can instantly boost volume. By absorbing oil, refreshes, conditions and helps add the ideal volume and tousled texture.
- HANDLE WITH CARE: Precious hair fibres require special attention. Using a soft fibre cloth gently rotate and “scrunch-squeeze” curls in an upward motion toward the scalp to absorb extra moisture.
- YOU’RE FINE! If your curls are baby-fine, use a hairnet when showering. The net allows water to flow through and lets you cleanse the hair with your fingers while helping to contain the wave structure.
- GOOD NIGHT’S SLEEP: For perfect next-day waves and curls, spray curls with a spray gel, and then ball your hair into a bun at the top of your head just before bed. Unfurl the gorgeousness the next morning.
- HYDRATE! Invest in a top-quality humidifier for your home. A humidifier will encourage curls and keep your hair and skin from drying out!
- PIN UP: For a curlier look on dry or second-day hair, try the pin method. Starting at the crown, wrap a section of hair around your finger, slide the finger out, hold the coil with your other hand and insert a clip at a right angle. After the hair is dry, gently remove the clips and loosen curls with your fingers. Finish with a tilt and scrunch.
We are located in Houghton-le-Spring, next to Sunderland, Newcastle and Durham.